Last Saturday, February 11th, Cascadia Conservation District, with the help of AmeriCorps member Ava, hosted a Native Planting 101 workshop.
|AmeriCorps member Ava introducing speakers.|
|Connie Mehmel's Presentation|
It was a 4 ½ hour workshop with four presentations covering pollinator gardening, yardscaping, restoration, and weed management.
We had 46 adults attend, in addition to two volunteers and four speakers.
Our 2017 Native Plant Sale is still accepting orders through March 1st!
All 11 species are still available.
Download an order form HERE!
You can access some of the information presented on our website at http://cascadiacd.org/native-planting-101-workshop_335.html
If you missed this year’s workshop, look for next year’s workshop info in Cascadia’s winter newsletter.
|Ted Alway's Presentation|
Listed below are some wonderful resources to get you started on planning your natural yardscape:
- Washington Native Plant Society www.wnps.org
- WTU Herbarium Image Collection: Plants and Lichens of Washington www.biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection.php
- USDA-NRCS Plants Database www.plants.usda.gov/java
- Chalker-Scott, Linda. Sustainable Landscapes and Gardens: Good Science- Practical Application. GFG Publishing, 2009.
- Fitzgerald, Tonie, Eve Carroll and Michael Terrell. Landscaping with Native Plants in the Inland Northwest. Publication MISC 0267. WSU Cooperative Extension, and US. Dept. of Agriculture, 2000.
- Kruckeberg, Arthur R. Gardening With Native Plants of the Pacific Northwest. University of Washington Press, 1996.
- Link, Russell. Landscaping for Wildlife in the Pacific Northwest. University of Washington Press, 1999.
- Tallamy, Douglas W. Bringing Nature Home: How You Can Sustain Wildlife with Native Plants. Timber Press, 2007.
- Taylor, Ronald J. Sagebrush Country: A Wildflower Sanctuary. Mountain Press Publishing Company, 1992.
- Washington State Noxious Weed Control Board www.nwcb.wa.gov
- Chelan County Noxious Weed Control Board www.co.chelan.wa.us/noxious-weed
- Washington Invasive Species Council www.invasivespecies.wa.gov
- Burrill, Larry C., Steven A. Dewey, David W. Cudney, and B. E. Nelson. Weeds of the West. Western Society of Weed Science, 1999.
- WSU Gardening in Washington www.gardening.wsu.edu
- Plant Native How To Naturescape Guide www.plantnative.com/how_intro.htm
- Weston, Shann. Naturescaping: A Landscaping Partnership with Nature. Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, 2001.
- The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation www.xerces.org
- Puget Sound Beekeepers Association www.pugetsoundbees.org
- Natural Resources Conservation Service Insects and Pollinators www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/national/plantsanimals/pollinate
- National Wildlife Federation “Garden for Wildlife” www.nwf.org/Garden-For-Wildlife.aspx
- Northwest Center for Alternatives to Pesticides www.pesticide.org/pests_and_alternatives
- Pollinator Partnership Ecoregional Planting Guides www.pollinator.org/guides
- US Forest Service Gardening for Pollinators www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pollinators/gardening.shtml
- The Xerces Society. Attracting Native Pollinators: Protecting North America’s Bees and Butterflies. Storey Publishing, 2011.