Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Saying Goodbye

The end of something, whatever it may be, often prompts us to reflect. This is the last week of my 10.5 month service term as an AmeriCorps Volunteer and I am going to use this entry as a reflection of my time with Cascadia Conservation District.
I would like to thank the people who I’ve worked with, especially my supervisor. It was not easy moving across the United States, leaving family and friends behind. I missed holidays, weddings and births. I missed my mom’s cooking, family traditions, New England in fall, and whoopie pies.
Despite all the things I missed, I never got homesick because staff members made me feel so welcomed. In between hectic work schedules and deadlines, they shared their stories, the best places to hike, what restaurants I should try and where I could take my car if it needed an oil change. They lent me hiking gear, shared recipes, and invited me over for dinner. They took a vested interest in my life and professional growth.
Consequently I’ve grown a lot. I will miss staff members and everything they’ve done for me. I don’t know where life will take me after this, but I do know that this experience and the wonderful people who shaped it will certainly be part of it.

Thanks for everything!
Your friend in conservation,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment