Tuesday, September 27, 2011

New Beginnings

Greetings! I’m just getting settled into my term as Cascadia’s AmeriCorps intern for the upcoming year.  I am incredibly excited to get to know all the great people at Cascadia, learn about what they do, and hopefully be of help to them too!

I’ve been a Washingtonian all my life, and have been lucky enough to live in several different parts of this beautiful and diverse state.  After graduating college with a degree in Ecology, and a stint of international travel, my partner and I came to Leavenworth last summer, and decided to overwinter there, before moving on.  As summer transformed into a glorious fall, and winter SLOWLY stretched into spring… and then another summer… we found we just couldn’t leave!  I have been absolutely transfixed by the magnificent mountains rising right out of our backyard and the rivers that offer up so many opportunities to experience natural and recreational activities alike.

That’s why I was thrilled when I learned about this AmeriCorps position right here in Wenatchee. I’ve been a follower of Cascadia’s Conservation Quarterly newsletter, and have been intrigued to learn more about this organization, whose focus on working with local communities to foster good stewardship practices I greatly admire.  With a biology background, I feel I have a decent understanding of the science behind- and the importance of- maintaining healthy ecosystems, but haven’t a clue about how conservation agencies go about working with partnering agencies, local landowners and communities to accomplish their mutual goals.  I believe this opportunity will give me the “behind-the-scenes” look I have been waiting for!

And one of my duties here at Cascadia is to write this blog!  So thank you for reading, and please feel free to bring to post any conservation-related questions and comments, or topics you might be curious about; I would love to attempt to address them in upcoming posts!

At the end of her farewell blog, last year’s AmeriCorps volunteer signed off with a phrase I particularly liked.  I hope she won’t mind if I borrow it!

Your friend in conservation,
Julia

P.S. Join us at the Wenatchee River Salmon Festival this weekend, October 1st and 2nd, at the Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery!  There will be lots of awesome art, science, cultural, and recreational activities and exhibits. Hope to see you there!
http://www.salmonfest.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment